Monday, September 23, 2013

Great Pumpkin makes a great soup


Tonight I made Pumpkin and Broccoli Chowder. It was in this cookbook my sister gave me, Crescent Dragonwagon's "Soup and Bread Cookbook." I was looking for a dish to use up some of the pumpkin my niece and nephew got me last year, that I froze. This soup looked like just the ticket.

Somebody ripped off the recipe here, added some spurious cloves and cinnamon, and called it his own. I did not use the cloves and cinnamon. But this copy is useful because it is something you can link to. And I do not have to retype the recipe!

It is funny, cooking in the age of the Internet.

I am thinking, someone had to have tried this recipe and rated it. But nobody had! On the other hand everyone had rated and written about another pumpkin soup recipe from the same cookbook, the Pumpkin Tomato Bisque. That did not attract me as much.

What I mean about the age of the Internet, you feel funny cooking something that nobody has rated.

Someone has to be the first to eat an oyster and it is you!

Way back when you never worried about stuff like this. You opened your cookbook, you stood facing the stove, you cooked. Now you expect ratings and comments and advice.

Here is what I hate on cooking sites. There is a long string of comments and as you begin perusing them eagerly all you read is: "I can't wait to make this!" "Looks delish!," etc.

Um, could someone comment who has actually tried the recipe?

Well, now I have tried Pumpkin and Broccoli Chowder. And the good news is, it turned out great. There was a ton of cleanup because I am not a normal person. I roasted and froze my own pumpkin, and it had to thaw out yesterday and today I pureed it in the blender. I also made my own chicken stock today with chicken bones in a Crock Pot. So I had all these extra steps. They would exhaust a normal person but they do not exhaust me.

It was worth it!

Welcome, Great Pumpkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment